A Very Good News Message
You may know by now that Premier Dwight Ball and Minister of Health John Haggie announced two weeks ago at a Press Conference, the establishment of a Provincial Eating Disorder Intensive Care Inpatient Program.
- 4 bed unit
- Its own identity on the front door
- To be located at the Health Sciences Center (exact location not sure)
- An interdisciplinary team will be created to support the unit.
- Hopefully an overall coordinator for all 4 eating disorder programs (this is the most important aspect of effort)
- An implementation team will be assembled to work out details
- Schedule for completion this budget year (March 31, 2018)
- Budget in place for program this year
This is almost everything asked for in the Working Group Report completed last year.
This is great news, when completed there will be about 15-20 dedicated staff in our 4 Eating Disorder programs (2 at Janeway Under 18 and 2 for Over 18). Working together across the 4 programs will be extremely beneficial in terms of maximum use of available resources.
Speaking for our eating disorder families, we are grateful for this important announcement and congratulate our Government for listening and responding to our messages. I am extremely optimistic that this action will substantially improve our overall treatment and support services.
Eating Disorder Foundation of NL